10 Fun Cheese Facts
January 7, 2022
True food lovers should know a few fun cheese facts. These delicious slices of information are sure to be a hit at fondue parties and trivia nights.
Fun Cheese Facts:
- Cheese production is an ancient art dating to 6000 B.C.E. Pieces of pottery with holes found in Switzerland are believed to be early cheese strainers.
- Washington D.C. isn’t the only capital in the U.S. Wisconsin makes 26% of American cheeses, making it the cheese capital of the U.S.
- The name cheese comes from the Latin “caseus” meaning “to ferment and sour.”
- Even the biggest cheese lover couldn’t finish the world’s largest cheese. In 1988 Simon’s Specialty Cheese toured a 40,060-pound cheese on a cheese mobile. Where else could this come from but Wisconsin?
- Cheese lovers might want to consider vacationing in Europe. European cheese makers fill caves with cheese to age them perfectly. Time to go spelunking!
- The ancient Greeks believed that Aristaios, God of shepherds and beekeeping, is responsible for the invention of cheese. Move aside Achilles, there’s a new favorite hero in town.
- Love cheese so much you want to throw a party? Be sure to celebrate National Cheese Week during the last week of June.
- Cheese is a great protein and calcium source. Healthy for the mind, body, and soul.
- Queen Victoria was given a giant wheel of cheese as a wedding present. Fun fact: cheese-flavored popcorn makes a great wedding present or favor!
- There are over 2,000 varieties of cheese. The flavor possibilities are truly endless.
A Special Treat for Cheese Lovers
Here’s a bonus fun fact: cheese makes a perfect topping. It amplifies hamburgers, crackers, and above all popcorn.